If you lose a tooth due to decay, trauma, or a scheduled extraction, you should have it replaced as soon as possible. Teeth depend on their neighbors for support, and with a gap in your gums, your other teeth will inevitably shift position. Teeth also keep your jawbone healthy and strong by stimulating bone growth. Missing teeth can be filled in by dentures or bridges, but the most stable, permanent solution is dental implants. At The Shores Dental in La Jolla, your affordable dentist offers dental implants to replace missing teeth.
What are dental implants?
Dental implants have three components:
- A titanium root anchored to your jawbone
- A support post or abutment that juts above your gums
- A crown that mimics a natural tooth
Out of all the options to replace missing teeth, implants look, feel, and function most like natural teeth. They preserve your jawline by keeping your jawbone healthy, restore speaking and chewing ability, and give you an all-natural smile.
What is the dental implant procedure?
At The Shores Dental at La Jolla, we refer you to the best dentists with the most experience to perform your implant surgery. First, you will undergo a health evaluation. Depending on how long your teeth have been missing, your jawbone may have weakened and require a bone graft to strengthen it enough to support an implant. If you suffer from diabetes, leukemia, or other chronic illness, your post-surgery healing period may be elongated. Your cosmetic dentist evaluates your other teeth to construct an implant that blends in as closely as possible.
Surgery takes approximately four months to allow for time to heal between each operation. Throughout the process, you will wear temporary dentures that preserve normal teeth functions.
- If necessary, a bone graft is performed, transplanting bone from another part of your body to shore up the jawbone.
- After applying local anesthesia, your surgeon drills a cavity in your gums and installs the implant in direct physical contact with the jawbone. It takes several months for the implant and bone to fuse together, a process called osseointegration.
- The surgeon attaches the support post or abutment to the implant. Sometimes, the abutment and implant can be installed in one operation.
- After osseointegration, the replacement tooth is installed on top of the abutment. The tooth can be either removable or permanent.
Though dental implant surgery is lengthy, the time invested pays off with a durable, fully functional tooth that can last for decades. Patients want the best dentist for their dental implant procedure, and The Shores Dental delivers with the best team in the La Jolla area. Schedule a consultation to get the dental implant process started.
Brighten your smile with professional teeth whitening to remove stains and discoloration.
We are always excited to add new members to our The Shores Dental family.
For you convenience, you can download the forms to complete and to bring your appointment.
What Our Clients Say
“All of the staff are warm and welcoming and once again, the location is great for us!”
“I look forward to this being my dental office for the long haul. Comfortable office, I truly felt I was in good hands.”
“Just started with The Shores, and could not be more satisfied. Extremely honest, professional and friendly.”